Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Credit Score Mistakes: How to Check Your Credit

By now, we've all heard how important it is to get a free credit report....to make sure its not filled with mistakes.

Many of us, however, dont check our Credit Score...because that costs money.

But as one man found out, it's well worth the 10 bucks.

Tim Enzweiller is hard working real estate agent...with a good job, a good balance in his savings account, and a good car.

Good thing too...Because Tim can't buy another car right now. He can't buy a house.... he can't even buy a new TV on credit.

Why not? Because there's a mistake in his credit file.

Tim tells me "I went to apply for a refinancing of my own home...."

But Tim, a licensed Realtor, was denied his own refinancing....because Equifax had no credit score listed.

"The Equifax credit bureau says I do not have a score....it said insufficient information here. I had no credit history, not credit score,and they had all my info, like Social and birthdate, incorrect in their system. I thought it was identity theft!"

But it turns out, according to Equifax, that a creditor entered wrong information into his file....which in turn messed up his entire file.

It's now correcting the error.

But Tim says in the future, he'll check his credit report and score before applying for credit again.

"If I'd have done that would have know ahead of time...I would have know when this happened."

So don't let this happen to you: Check your credit report each year...and if you're planning to buy a new house or car soon, check your Credit Score as well.

The report should be free...The score a few extra dollars.

Both are worth it, so you Dont Waste your Money. I'm John Matarese.

1 comment:

Schecter said...

Great idea for a blog. Keep it up!! :-)

My site is about a low credit score may result in a denial of credit.

Low scores
Low Credit Scores
Credit Score
Credit Scores