Thursday, October 11, 2007

Taking a peak at our credit reports

I have pulled my wifes and I's credit reports off of freeannualreport.com. We will have to send out a written request for one of the reports because our bank placed a fraud alert on our behalf a couple months ago when our credit card information was spoofed/stolen.

I didn't have time to carefully evaluate the information contained with the reports, but from past experiences know that there will be errors, and issues that I will need to address.

Unfortunately, I did notice that my wife has to public records of ~$500 each on her reports. These are a result of medical bills that should have been paid by insurance that were denied for whatever reason. We did not have the ability or resources to pay the bills and are paying them now. It is unfortunate, but we hope to make it water under the bridge some day.

I feel better after obtaining the reports and realize that it brings us one step closer to our ultimate goal of being debt free and credit worthy at the same time.

I will spend some time this weekend reviewing the information contained in the reports we have and develop a plan of attack in polishing the reports. I have worked on repairing our reports in the past and it is has proven to be about a 12-18 month venture. If we approach this task concurrently with our debt reduction it will be only a minor inconvenience.

I am aware of some great resources on the internet and will begin posting them soon. I am still drafting different writing series, and should begin that soon. Tomorrow I will post another confession, and how I deal with it (Via - Debt Liberty blog).

No comments: